Most Popular Jobs in Hawaii with Insightful Statistics

Most Popular Jobs in Hawaii infographic

E Komo Mai, Hawaii’s most popular jobs, and where you can find one.


Welcome to Hawaii! Most people only dream of moving to this tropical paradise. But playing to the strengths of the local job market could make moving to Hawaii more than just a dream. Learn what jobs are most popular in Hawaii today.


A snapshot of Hawaii employment: 843,431 people were employed in Hawaii in 2011 – 183,122 where employed in government and government enterprises. Unemployment rate is 5.3%, which is 2.4% lower than the national unemployment rate.


Per capita net income, 2011: $42,925. Per capita net earnings, 2011: $28,327.


Hawaii’s top 5 occupations:


  1. Office & Administrative Support, which includes Communications, Equipment Operators, Clerks, Secretaries and Assistants, Tellers, Emergency Dispatchers. A total of 89,820 were employed in these professions. 74% of the jobs are in Honolulu and the remaining 26% across Hawaii / Maui / Kauai non-metro areas. The mean hourly wage was $17 and the mean annual wage was $35,360.

  2. Food Preparation & Serving-Related, which includes Cooks and Chefs, Bartenders, Food Preparation Workers, Food Servers and Waiters, Counter and Concession Attendants. A total of 70,380 where employed in these professions. 67% of the jobs are in Honolulu and the remaining 33% across Hawaii /Maui / Kauai and non-metro areas. The mean hourly wage was $12.33 and the mean annual wage was $25,400.

  3. Sales & Related, which includes Retail Sales Workers, Cashiers, Real Estate Brokers & Agents, Travel Agents, Demonstrators and Product Promoters. A total of 60,120 where employed in these professions. 71% of the jobs are in Honolulu and the remaining 29% across Hawaii /Maui / Kauai and non-metro areas. The mean hourly wage was $15.80 and the mean annual wage was $32,870.

  4. Education, Training and Library, which includes Teachers – primary to postsecondary – Teachers Assistants, Librarians and Library Technicians, Museum Technicians and Conservators, Archivists and Curators. A total of 40,180 where employed in these professions. 81% of the jobs are in Honolulu and the remaining 19% across Hawaii /Maui / Kauai and non-metro areas. The mean hourly wage was $23.34 and the mean annual wage was $48,540.

  5. Transportation and Material Moving, which includes Airline Pilots, Copilots and Flight Engineers, Bus Drivers, Tractor-trailer Drivers, Industrial Machine Operators, Ship Engineers.. A total of 37,430 where employed in these professions. 74% of the jobs are in Honolulu and the remaining 26% across Hawaii /Maui / Kauai and non-metro areas. The mean hourly wage was $18.22 and the mean annual wage was $37,890.


Jobs more common in Hawaii than in other states:


  1. Anthropologists and archeologists

  2. Area, cultural and ethnic studies postsecondary teachers

  3. Tour guides and escorts

  4. Engravers and etchers

  5. Transportation attendants (excluding flight attendants and baggage porters)

  6. Reservation / transportation ticket agents and travel clerks

  7. Transportation workers

  8. Clergy

  9. Secondary Education Teachers

  10. Bellhops and baggage porters


Apply your strengths in strong Hawaiian markets and your dream of living and working in paradise could become a reality. Start your job search on Hawaii’s leading job site, www.hawaiijobengine.com